Thursday, October 16, 2014

Leaves/Halloween Week 2

Tuesday's Schedule -

Book - There's a Monster at the End of this Book
We talked about Halloween and how it has scary costumes and characters but those things are pretend and for fun.

Math - Halloween Dice Game
I got the idea and free printable page off of Pinterest, http://handsonaswegrow.com/halloween-dice-game-free-printable/.  They had to roll two dice and add the two together (counting the dots) then find that number and mark it off.  The first to mark all the numbers off wins.  It took a long time to mark off all of the numbers so we ended up working together to mark them all off after a while.

Phonics - Roll and Say
I had a paper with leaves on it.  I wrote simple cvc words on it.  This time I had a penny on hand so they dropped a penny and whatever leaf it landed on had to read the word or tell me the beginning letter.  For the older kids they read the word and for the younger they named the first letter.

Art - Ghost
I drew a spiral on white paper.  Then had the kids cut on the line (as well as they could).  After they finished we drew a ghost face on the top.  We need a lot more work with scissors, but they are getting better.  And they loved the ghost it created!

Movement - Roll a Halloween Character
I printed little pictures of 6 different halloween characters then taped them to my large dice.  We took turns rolling the dice and whatever it landed on we had to act out the character.  This was a big hit!  We had a lot of fun being halloween characters (especially vampire for some reason "I want to suck your blood" is hilarious).


Wednesday's Schedule -

Book - My Fairy Adventures

Math - Roll a Jack-o-latern
I cut out different parts of a jack-o-latern.  And each part had a number related to it.  (1- pumpkin, 2 -eye, 3- eye, 4- nose, 5- mouth, 6- nothing).  Each took turns rolling the dice and figuring out what part of the jack-o-lateen they got until they put it all together.

Phonics - Pumpkin Patch
I cut out a pumpkin for each letter.  Laid them on the floor and we were smashing pumpkins.  I called a letter out for each kid to stomp on.  This wasn't working though because the younger ones needed a lot of help while the older ones were getting bored.  So instead I turned on music and had them stomp the pumpkins until I turned off the music and whatever they landed on they had to name the letter.  The older boys had to name the letter, sound it makes, and name a word that starts with the letter.  This was a way better way of doing it.

Art - Spider Web
Before that day I put clear tape on white paper in the shape of a spider web.  I had the kids paint the whole paper and then wiped the paint off of the clear tape.  I also cut out black spiders that they could glue onto their spiderwebs.  This might be one of my favorite crafts we have done.  The kids thought it was so cool that I wiped off the paint and it made a spider web.  Very fun and super cute turn out.

Movement -Spider Web
We sat in a circle and tossed yarn back and forth to each other making sure to always hold onto the yarn.  The kids thought this was cool, but often let go of the yarn making it not work as well.  At the end we laid down the yarn and let them crawl on it like a spiders.

No comments:

Post a Comment